List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jean-Francois Dockes Date:January 28 2000 4:06pm
Subject:Re: heartwarming numbers :-)
View as plain text
sasha@stripped writes:
 > Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
 > > Server version          3.22.26a-log
 > > Uptime:                 66 days 1 hour 39 min 35 sec
 > > Threads: 3  Questions: 414677873  Slow queries: 17941  Opens: 313707
 > >     Flush tables: 950  Open tables: 56
 >
 > I just did a litte math with my favorite calculator, bc , and this
 > is a sustained load of 72 queries per second on average. I noticed
 > that you have logging enabled -- but cannot tell if this is just
 > update log or full logging.

Just an update log (for backup purposes).

 > Would you mind also telling us about your hardware, OS, average
 > table size, and the ratio of update/select/delete/insert ?

The database server's hardware is dual-i686/400Mhz, 512 Mb memory, The
system is Linux 2.0.36. There is mostly one client machine, over a
100mbit link, which is a quad-xeon and runs the web site (apache+tcl)
(this one has 2Gigs of memory, I just can't believe what I'm
writing... I guess that 40 years old is too old to adjust).

The database is small enough (around 280 Mb) that it probably
completely fits in the system's memory buffers.

The most used tables are each only a few dozen megabytes in size
(100,000-200,000 records, or even a few dozen thousands records for
some of the most heavily accessed ones).

By looking at the logs over a period of more or less typical 38 days,
I have:
  1,473,698 Inserts
  1,674,631 Updates

If the query rate was around 70/S, there would have been around 230
million queries for the period.

As you can see the modification rate is actually tiny (1.3%), so my
first message was a little wrong, I actually thought we had much more
updates before looking into it.

There are extremely few deletes. (Where do all these inserts go, you
might ask? temp records that get cleaned up periodically with very few
delete statements).

This was much more a message to praise MySQL's stability than about
performance (which is excellent, but relatively meaningless in this
context I guess).

And I prefer dc, by the way :)

J.F. Dockes
Thread
heartwarming numbers :-)Jean-Francois Dockes28 Jan
  • Re: heartwarming numbers :-)sasha28 Jan
    • Re: heartwarming numbers :-)Jean-Francois Dockes28 Jan
  • Re: heartwarming numbers :-)Andreas Vierengel28 Jan
  • Re: heartwarming numbers :-)Daniel Koch28 Jan
  • Re: heartwarming numbers :-)Van29 Jan
  • Re: heartwarming numbers :-)Andreas Vierengel29 Jan
RE: heartwarming numbers :-)James Gray28 Jan
RE: heartwarming numbers :-)James Gray28 Jan
Re: heartwarming numbers :-)web28 Jan
  • Serializing resource-intensive queriessasha29 Jan