List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BAUMEISTER Alexandre Date:April 28 1999 10:01am
Subject:Re: Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!
View as plain text
Bonjour,

MW> I just checked the code;  The current 'send_file_to_server' code
MW> reads the file in 15K packets and sends these (compressed) one by one.

  Can't this be configured ?

MW> Yes, if the server and client are compiled with the compressed
MW> libraries.  If not, the protocol will automaticly fall back to not use
MW> compression.

  Compressed   libraries   ?  Are  they  part  of  the  MySQL-3.22.21
  sources  distribution ? In order to compile and install Mysql, I get
  mysql-3.22.21.tar.gz  .

MW> The easiest way to check this is to monitor the trafic between the
MW> server/client :)

  I will try to do that.

MW> In this case, you will probably be better off by using LOAD DATA.

  Yes.  So  I have to get back to my previous solution which sends the
  file through FTP and then do a LOAD DATA INFILE.

BAUMEISTER>>   Isn't  there  a  simple  way  to  add an option which would tell the
BAUMEISTER>>   server to do the insert into the table only once it has received all
BAUMEISTER>>   the data (for LOAD DATA _LOCAL_) ?

MW> Not really.  This would involve buffering the whole file (which may be
MW> of ANY size).

  Yes.  But  this  could  be  a  variable  configurable  my the server
  administrator. For example 'LOAD DATA LOCAL SHORT_LOCK' option would
  tell  to receive data in a buffer which max size could be configured
  with 'max_load_data_local_shortlock' variable. This could be a great
  improvement.

BAUMEISTER>>   If  for  example  someone  uses LOAD DATA LOCAL in order to update a
BAUMEISTER>>   remote table with large files on a slow network, the delay while all
BAUMEISTER>>   SELECT on this table will be locked may be a REAL problem. Don't you
BAUMEISTER>>   agree ?

MW> Yes;  In this case it's better to not use LOCAL.  Have you thought
MW> about using multi-line inserts instead ?

  But  I  was  always  told that LOAD DATA is a lot more accurate than
  multi-line inserts ...
  And  the file I'm sending to the server have about 100-200 lines and
  sometimes more than 2000.

  Regards,
  Alex.

Thread
Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?BAUMEISTER Alexandre27 Apr
  • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Paul DuBois27 Apr
      • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
  • Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
    • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
      • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!Michael Widenius28 Apr
        • Re: Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
        • Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
          • Re: Stupid question!!Darrell Shifflett28 Apr
            • RE: Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Fred Lindberg27 Apr