List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 28 1999 7:56am
Subject:Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?
View as plain text

>> Is  it  normal  ?  Is  there  a plan to optimize the CLIENT_COMPRESS
>> protocol  in order to have more rapid transfers ? Why not to use the
>> gzip algorithm (it's GNU isn't it ?) ?

unknown> Perhaps because whenever you incorporate GNU code into a package and
unknown> release it, the entire package falls under GNU license, which would be
unknown> remarkably horrible for MySQL.

Hi!

Some comments:

- zlib is not GPL, it's in public domain.
- There is no GPL code in the MySQL server.
- There is some GPL code in the MySQL client (readline), but as the
  MySQL clients is in public domain, this is ok.
  (We have a written statement from RMS about this)
- We may in the future use some LGPL libraries with the MySQL server,
  but this will not affect the server copyright in any way.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?BAUMEISTER Alexandre27 Apr
  • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Paul DuBois27 Apr
      • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
  • Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
    • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
      • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!Michael Widenius28 Apr
        • Re: Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
        • Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
          • Re: Stupid question!!Darrell Shifflett28 Apr
            • RE: Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Fred Lindberg27 Apr