List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 24 2000 1:51am
Subject:Re: Why a license for Windows ?
View as plain text
At 2:40 AM +0100 2000-01-24, Patrik Lundin wrote:
>  > Given that, why *shouldn't* they charge for the Windows server?
>>  They have little use for it themselves, what could possibly be
>>  the incentive to spend time on it?
>>
>>  The Windows users aren't paying for all the others.  They're paying
>>  for the version that the developers wouldn't otherwise spend time on,
>>  and that wouldn't exist without some incentive to spend time on it.
>
>OK, the fact remains but apparently I'm barking up the wrong tree,
>as I said I *never* said that I did not want to pay, I do still mind
>that some people get it for free just because they are on another system.

I don't think I ever implied that you didn't want to pay.  In your
very first message on this thread, you explicitly said you didn't mind
paying for it.

As for why you mind that it's free for some people, I don't really
know, and I can't imagine.  The analogy given in another message, of
a guy who develops a Windows widget for his own use and gives it
away to Windows users but tells the guy who wants a Palm version will
have to pay for it to be ported, seems quite close to the situation
here.

>The most reasonable, as other also pointed out as an answer to my mailing,
>is that everyone pay a small fee, not just some people.

That doesn't make sense.  Then UNIX users would be paying to subsidize
Windows development, which is just the kind of thing you objected to in
an earlier message (only there it was in reverse, where you considered
Windows users to be paying to subsidize UNIX development).

>But...but...that's just my opinion, apparently other people don't mind
>paying for freebies, which of course is the effect with this kind of
>licensing.

Don't know what you mean by this statement, unless you're referring to
the apparent willingness of many UNIX users to pay for their version even
when they don't have to.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
        • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Van24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp24 Jan
            • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEric Peters24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Van24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEd Carp24 Jan
            • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEric Peters24 Jan
            • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTOrlando Andico24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ruben Safir24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Pat Sherrill24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Steve Ruby24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Van24 Jan
Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)sasha24 Jan
    • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Matthias Urlichs24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Richard Ellerbrock24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEd Carp24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEric Peters24 Jan
Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Adrian Phillips24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?jcole24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
  • Explenation for: Why a license for Windows ?Michael Widenius2 Feb
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Keith Vance24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Matt \"TrollBoy\" Wiseman24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • RE: Why a license for Windows ?Robert Schott24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Christopher E. Brown24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul Ferris24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ruben I Safir24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Keith Vance24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?James Treworgy24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Andy24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Where is the charter.. Please, STOP THIS - OK? RE: Why a license for Windows ?Robert Schott24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Hans H. Anderson26 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ruben I Safir24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Stephen Johnson24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Jeff Thies24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?jcole24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
      • RE: Why a license for Windows ?destiney24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul D. Smith24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Laszlo G. Szijarto25 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ronald Beck25 Jan
  • RE: Why a license for Windows ?destiney24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Karl M. Phillips24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha25 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp25 Jan