List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 24 2000 1:33am
Subject:Re: Why a license for Windows ?
View as plain text
>Well, yes, but why make it free for Linux and Unix then ?
>
>It's probably the clients to TCX and the Windows users paying for
>all the others then isn't it ?

The MySQL folks are going to use MySQL under UNIX anyway.  They
won't develop a Windows version for themselves.  There has to be
some incentive to divert resources from UNIX development to Windows
development.

Given that, why *shouldn't* they charge for the Windows server?
They have little use for it themselves, what could possibly be
the incentive to spend time on it?

The Windows users aren't paying for all the others.  They're paying
for the version that the developers wouldn't otherwise spend time on,
and that wouldn't exist without some incentive to spend time on it.

"The MySQL developers may like working on MySQL, but not so much that
they want to pay for the privilege."

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
        • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Van24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp24 Jan
            • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEric Peters24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Van24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEd Carp24 Jan
            • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEric Peters24 Jan
            • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTOrlando Andico24 Jan
          • Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ruben Safir24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Pat Sherrill24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Steve Ruby24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Van24 Jan
Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)sasha24 Jan
    • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Matthias Urlichs24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Richard Ellerbrock24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEd Carp24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ? - pretty OTEric Peters24 Jan
Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Re: OT UNIX=WIN portable software (was: Why a license for Windows ?)Adrian Phillips24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?jcole24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
  • Explenation for: Why a license for Windows ?Michael Widenius2 Feb
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Keith Vance24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Matt \"TrollBoy\" Wiseman24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • RE: Why a license for Windows ?Robert Schott24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Christopher E. Brown24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul Ferris24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ruben I Safir24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Keith Vance24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul DuBois24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?James Treworgy24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Andy24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp24 Jan
  • Where is the charter.. Please, STOP THIS - OK? RE: Why a license for Windows ?Robert Schott24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Hans H. Anderson26 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ruben I Safir24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Stephen Johnson24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Jeff Thies24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
  • Re: Why a license for Windows ?jcole24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Patrik Lundin24 Jan
      • RE: Why a license for Windows ?destiney24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Paul D. Smith24 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Laszlo G. Szijarto25 Jan
    • Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ronald Beck25 Jan
  • RE: Why a license for Windows ?destiney24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Karl M. Phillips24 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?sasha25 Jan
Re: Why a license for Windows ?Ed Carp25 Jan