List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:April 27 1999 8:34pm
Subject:Re: transaction support
View as plain text
I'm not an expert...but I really don't think this will work well
for most people.

Transactions aren't used only to prevent data inaccuracies in the
face of server failures.  If an insert violates a UNIQUE index
constraint, you'll want to roll back the transaction.  Your fix
won't handle that sort of thing at all.

Another problem is that very often you'll want to use the LAST_
INSERT_ID from one insert in another insert - all within the same
transaction.  Your fix doesn't allow for that.

I think your solution might seem easier to use for some people,
but I don't think it addresses any real problems.

Tim

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 02:22:37PM -0600, Sasha Pachev wrote:
>  - Have special option "enable_transactions"
>  - When it is on, never actually execute a query, but
> just put in in a queue
>  - On commit flush the queue executing the queries.
>  - On rollback flush the queue not executing the
> queries.
Thread
transaction supportDavid Wall27 Apr
  • Re: transaction supportSasha Pachev28 Apr
    • Re: transaction supportNem W Schlecht28 Apr
    • Re: transaction supportThimble Smith28 Apr
Re: transaction supportFred Lindberg28 Apr
Re: transaction supportFred Lindberg28 Apr
  • Re: transaction supportVolker Paepcke29 Apr
Re: transaction supportFred Lindberg29 Apr