List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 27 1999 7:45pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
> When engaged in these sorts of discussion, I find it valuable to attempt
> to comprehend the worldview of the user being discussed. That it is easy
> for you to make the conversion is not at issue. What is at issue is the
> ability of the "average Access user" to do so. This requires that they
> have a reasonable amount of technical skill and some level of proficency
> with both Access and MySQL. It is not a skillset I would ascribe to the
> "average Access user."
>
> Again if the desire is to get a great number of Access users to convert,
> you will have to offer either a toolset that makes the migration to/use of
> MySQL as simple as their use of Access and/or an extremely compelling
> reason to switch. Not compelling to you or I, we're already sold, but *to
> them*.

Actually this sounds like a fun project, aside from the
fact that you have to work with Windows. I might be
interested in working on it some day.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May