List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrick Greenwell Date:April 27 1999 7:44pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Apr 27), Patrick Greenwell said:
>  > If that is the desire, then it is necessary to make it attractive to
> > the demographic. People using Access are doing so for ease of use
> > reasons, not because Access is the fastest, most stable DB on the
> > planet(it certainly isn't.) MySQL by comparison is not as easy to
> > use, doesn't have a GUI anywhere near the one offered with Access,
> > etc. So, if you want people to switch, better get working on a really
> > nice GUI.... ;-)
>
> Aah, but people using Access for ease of use reasons tend to outgrow
> the Jet database engine first, and it's a cinch to take an existing
> Access .MDB, export the tables to MySQL, and link the tables.  The
> users of the app don't know the differnece, since the UI hasn't
> changed.  It just magically got faster :)

When engaged in these sorts of discussion, I find it valuable to attempt
to comprehend the worldview of the user being discussed. That it is easy
for you to make the conversion is not at issue. What is at issue is the
ability of the "average Access user" to do so. This requires that they
have a reasonable amount of technical skill and some level of proficency
with both Access and MySQL. It is not a skillset I would ascribe to the
"average Access user."

Again if the desire is to get a great number of Access users to convert,
you will have to offer either a toolset that makes the migration to/use of
MySQL as simple as their use of Access and/or an extremely compelling
reason to switch. Not compelling to you or I, we're already sold, but *to
them*.

Thread
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May