List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay J Date:January 21 2000 9:12pm
Subject:Re: Web Chat Room using MySQL
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "James Treworgy" <jamie@stripped>
To: <ptompkins@stripped>; "'MySQL List'" <mysql@stripped>
Cc: <`@iname.net>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 2:56 PM

> Suppose you have a discussion thread with x levels of response depth and
> you want to display it in a heriarchy.  Suppose you want to show 20
> messages per screen, with a given heirarchy expanded or collapsed at any
> level.  Your basic tree view.
>
> How do you:
> 1) Show the correct documents on screen, expanded or collapsed to a
certain
> depth based on the user's previous actions
> 2) Know whether a document has children, to show an expand/collapse
> 3) Know how to position the limits of your select when people expand and
> collapse to keep resource use limited
[snip]
> Jamie

I just sent a private mail to Phil .. I think I should have CC'ed the list.

I described a non-recursive numbering system that helps/allows you to do all
those things.

The archived message is:
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=mysql&m=94727491909828&w=2

This method seemed to be the concensus for the most efficient method -- at
least it is between myself and "Chas" (the original poster) a few months
back.

http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=mysql&w=2&r=1&s=masochist&q=b

Personally, I intend to use this method for a variety of uses: threaded
forums, user preferences, ala 'Catalog' type categories (www.senga.org),
the list goes on...

-Jay J

Thread
Web Chat Room using MySQLJames Lyon21 Jan
  • RE: Web Chat Room using MySQLApoc21 Jan
    • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLDylan Neild21 Jan
      • RE: Web Chat Room using MySQLApoc21 Jan
        • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLDylan Neild22 Jan
      • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLjcole21 Jan
        • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLDylan Neild22 Jan
          • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLjcole22 Jan
      • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJames Treworgy21 Jan
      • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJames Lyon22 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLDave VanHorn21 Jan
    • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLKristo Käärmann21 Jan
      • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLDave VanHorn21 Jan
        • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLsquidge22 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLVan22 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLMassimiliano Hofer22 Jan
RE: Web Chat Room using MySQLAlok Dhir21 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLStephen Johnson21 Jan
    • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJames Treworgy21 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLStephen Johnson21 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLPhillip Tompkins21 Jan
    • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJames Treworgy21 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJay J22 Jan
    • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJames Treworgy22 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLPhillip Tompkins22 Jan
Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLEd Carp22 Jan
  • OT: Java (was Re: Web Chat Room using MySQL)James Lyon22 Jan
  • Re: Web Chat Room using MySQLJeremy Cole22 Jan