List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Derick H Siddoway Date:April 27 1999 4:22pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
>I have found it is considerably easier and faster to;
>
>   download, configure, compile, link and install MySQL
>    [I have done this on several Linuxes and two versions
>     of <spit> Solaris]
>
>than it is to;
>
>    install Informix from the distribution medium.
>    [I have witnessed this on HP/UX and another Unix]
>
>presumably, the same applies to Oracle.

Indeed.  To the point that we have an employee here who's
job it is to install DB2 on the various platforms.  That's
all he does -- and I'm awfully glad, 'cause I didn't want
to go through the pain of learning how to install the durn
thing.  I've done it once with Orakul, and I've failed
to install both Empress and Adabas thus far (they were both
really dependent on X for installation, and I didn't feel
motivated enough to track down the particular Xlibs that
they were complaining about.)

Give me that tarball any day.

--
derick
Thread
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May