List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:April 27 1999 4:19pm
Subject:Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?
View as plain text
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:06:54 +0200, BAUMEISTER Alexandre wrote:

>  Is  it  normal  ?  Is  there  a plan to optimize the CLIENT_COMPRESS
>  protocol  in order to have more rapid transfers ? Why not to use the
>  gzip algorithm (it's GNU isn't it ?) ?

I don't know how CLIENT_COMPRESS is implemented, but usually, network
bandwidth is NOT the bottle neck. Thus, the compression should be able
to work with a small window and be very fast, rather than compress
maximally. The gain is in the number of buffer reads required, etc.
This should be noticeable only with transfer of relatively large
volumes of data (large result sets).

When compressing files, gzip can take its time and work with a large
window.

-Sincerely, Fred

Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?BAUMEISTER Alexandre27 Apr
  • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Paul DuBois27 Apr
      • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
  • Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
    • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
      • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!Michael Widenius28 Apr
        • Re: Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
        • Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
          • Re: Stupid question!!Darrell Shifflett28 Apr
            • RE: Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Fred Lindberg27 Apr