List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Treworgy Date:January 20 2000 6:45pm
Subject:Copy table or table structure
View as plain text
Forgive me if this is an obvious FAQ. I haven't been able to find an answer
in the documentation

Standard SQL syntax allows you to SELECT... INTO ... to copy a table or
create a new table from the results of a query.  The MySQL docs explain
that this isn't supported and give some workarounds.  However, I was not
able to successfully duplicate this functionality, which is, create a
completely new table with the identical structure as an existing table or
query.  If this can be done I would appreciate someone spelling it out for me.

In the same vein, how would you output from MySQL the *text* of a CREATE
statement which will duplicate an existing table structure? That is,
suppose I want to copy a table from one server to another (happens often in
what I'm doing, since I do testing on a local server and move tables to
production server when done).   I've been doing this lamely using Microsoft
Access and MyODBC to export the tables to the other server, but it always
loses the indices.

I used to use an ISP that had a simple CGI interface to MySQL that allowed
you to do this for tables on their server, and have not been able to
replicate this functionality on my own servers (without writing a bunch of
code which I'm trying to avoid ;-)

Jamie
Thread
Copy table or table structureJames Treworgy20 Jan
  • Re: Copy table or table structuresinisa20 Jan
Re: Copy table or table structurePeter Hurd20 Jan
  • Re: Copy table or table structureM. Mani23 Jan