List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BAUMEISTER Alexandre Date:April 27 1999 4:06pm
Subject:Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?
View as plain text
Bonjour,

  A  program  of mine is continuously updating a remote MySQL database
  table  with  a text file once per minute. Until last week my program
  was doing this :

        - gzip compression of the text file
        - sending the .gz to the remote server using FTP
        - http request on a cgi on the remote server which :
                       - gzip -d the text file
                       - LOAD DATA INFILE to the table.

  This worked quite well but I found it no 'clean'.

  I  had  to  program that in the past because when I first wrote that
  prog. there was not "LOAD DATA _LOCAL_ INFILE".

  Next  week,  I upgraded to MySQL-3.22.21 and decided to use the LOAD
  DATA LOCAL to update the remote table.

  My  new  prog.  is  connecting  to  the remote MySQL server with the
  CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol.

  But it seems that the CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol compresses a lot less
  than gzip.

  I  have  MRTG  scanning  the  bandwidth  used by the server which is
  sending  the  data  to  the remote server. And compared to last week
  when  my prog was using gzip+ftp to send the data, the new LAOD DATA
  LOCAL  program uses twice more bandwidth and then the transfer delay
  is more important.

  Is  it  normal  ?  Is  there  a plan to optimize the CLIENT_COMPRESS
  protocol  in order to have more rapid transfers ? Why not to use the
  gzip algorithm (it's GNU isn't it ?) ?

  Another question :
    -  When a client is doing a 'LOAD DATA INFILE' command, during the
    INSERT,  all  other clients doing select on that table are locked.
    What  I  wonder is if when using 'LOAD DATA LOCAL INSERT', are the
    others  clients  locked while the data are sent from the client to
    the  server  or  are  they  locked  only  once  the  data  are all
    transferred and the server is doing the insert ?

  Yours,
  Alex.

Thread
Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?BAUMEISTER Alexandre27 Apr
  • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Paul DuBois27 Apr
      • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?unknown27 Apr
    • Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
  • Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Michael Widenius28 Apr
    • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
      • Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!Michael Widenius28 Apr
        • Re: Reaction: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol !!!BAUMEISTER Alexandre28 Apr
        • Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
          • Re: Stupid question!!Darrell Shifflett28 Apr
            • RE: Stupid question!!Ryan28 Apr
Re: Compression with CLIENT_COMPRESS protocol ?Fred Lindberg27 Apr