List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 27 1999 4:06pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> > Fred Read wrote:
> > [MySQL is easier to install & configure than Informix]
> You left out: "Writing the application that will use the
> database," which I believe was the orginal posters point.

I covered this point to a certain extent in my ODBC comments.

> There are a large number of applications that rely on specific
> functionality being present. Some of this functionality
> (sub-selects, transactions, etc.) is simply not present
> in MySQL.

Point taken, but many of these things can be worked around
without the massive performance penalties...

> > [ODBC allows MySQL to work with MANY apps these days]

> ODBC isn't a panacea. It also doesn't perform as well when
> compared to making native SQL calls. Why would anyone want
> to cripple performance by using ODBC?

I agree with you, I go to great lengths to avoid it wherever
I can but for many applications you can implement a solution
using ODBC and MySQL.

Take, for example, the Microsoft Windows platform:

A Client/Server database app talking to a MySQL server using
ODBC will generally outperform the same app talking to Access
directly! So, why would anyone want to cripple performance by
using Access?

I don't wish to turn this into a "MS bashing session" but you
can see my point - millions of users use Access every day.
Wouldn't it be nice if only one percent switched to MySQL?
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May