List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:April 27 1999 2:34pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:00:12 +1000, jonathan michaels wrote:

>it was once said that it is a lot easier to have great
>performance whe you don't have to worry about the reat issues
>involved in database retirivability or teh other issues
>concerning data integrity and databse maintnance and or
>management.

I think you hit it right on. This is _why_ MySQL is so much better for
many applications that Oracle etc. Putting all Oracle functionality
into MySQL might be a big mistake. Currently, it runs rings around the
others because it is small, fast, easy to use, manage, install, and
doesn't take the overhead of transactions, triggers, etc.

The contest idea is (IMHO) a question of what can be done, not of
pushing Oracle out of the market. It's clear that Oracle is better for
some applications, but also that MySQL is better for some.

Indexed text fields, etc: Write an add-on. One can debate if this
should be handled at the database or application level. Take a look at
UdmSearch announced on this list. If you write a more general purpose
function for indexing (implementing it as a small database of words,
for instance) you can contribute. I'm sure that that would be greatly
appreciated.

A good integrated backup system, and an ability to reliably pipe change
commands at a low level [to maintain an identical standby database] to
a second server would be nice. From there to hot standby/failover is a
relatively small step.

Have you ever tried to recover data from a damaged Mirosoft SQL Server
database? Let me know how to do it!

-Sincerely, Fred

Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May