List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sandrine C. Date:April 27 1999 1:47pm
Subject:Starting Mysql, Server
View as plain text
Hie

I am very new to mysql

I have installed a package of MYSQL 3.21 on Linux RH5.2
I join a file where are written all my mysql files.. incase someone
like to have a look and tell me if installation correct

to start ( or try to ..) Mysql I do :
[root@localhost schypre]# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &
[1] 2666
[root@localhost schypre]# Starting mysqld demon with databases from
/var/lib/mysql
mysqld demon ended

[1]+  Done                    /usr/bin/safe_mysqld
[root@localhost schypre]# mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server

WHY ??? What Shall I do ??

I saw this in the news... so I insert it in the bashrx file.
but it didnt help me much...What am I suppose to do with this?? does
anybody
knows what to do >MYSQL_UNIX_PORT=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>MYSQL_TCP_PORT=3307
>export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT MYSQL_TCP_PORT
>mysql_install_db

Furthermore the system doesnt know mysql_install_db
bash: mysql_install_db: command not found

Thank a lot for your help

Sandrine