List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:April 27 1999 11:17am
Subject:Re: MySQL buffer parameters
View as plain text
Flemming Funch wrote:

> I might be stupid, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the
> parameters for buffers in mySQL. The manual seems clear enough, about which
> parameters I need to add to the call to safe_mysql. So, I run something
> like this:
>
> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld -O key_buffer=32M -O table_cache=256 -O sort_buffer=8M
> -O record_buffer=2M &
>
> And to check if it took it, I go and run /usr/sbin/mysqld --help
>
> .. and it shows me the same old default settings, and nothing runs anything
> better.
>
> I go and look in /usr/bin/safe_mysqld, and I see nothing at all that seems
> involved in picking up parameters from the command line. So, I doctor it to
> call /usr/sbin/mysqld with those parameters. Still the same result.
>
> Is there something basic I don't know? I'm running RedHat5.2 and it is
> mysql-3.21.30 from an RPM called mysql-3.21.30-rh50.1

< cut >

> - Flemming

Hi Flemming

Yes you missed somthing basic :)

/usr/sbin/mysqld --help will always give you the standard settings in 3.21.xx!

To get the actual used values, you have to give the --help flag to the mysql startup
like this:
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld -O key_buffer=32M -O table_cache=256 -O sort_buffer=8M -O
record_buffer=2M --help

Tschau
Christian

Thread
MySQL buffer parametersFlemming Funch27 Apr
  • Re: MySQL buffer parametersChristian Mack27 Apr
  • Re: MySQL buffer parametersPaul DuBois27 Apr