List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 27 1999 8:16am
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
Dan Watts wrote:

> Trust isn't always the reason for not selecting MySQL.  Not all
> companies have the time and staff to develop custom applications.
> The bottom line is typically affected by availability [I want it
> up and running now syndrome] of pre built applications.  If MySQL
> isn't one of the supported databases for the application, that
> rules out MySQL as an option.

I have found it is considerably easier and faster to;

    download, configure, compile, link and install MySQL
    [I have done this on several Linuxes and two versions
     of <spit> Solaris]

than it is to;

    install Informix from the distribution medium.
    [I have witnessed this on HP/UX and another Unix]

presumably, the same applies to Oracle.

With so many applications supporting "foreign" databases
through ODBC these days, the "lack of support for MySQL"
argument is starting to wear thin...
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May