List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Jones Date:April 27 1999 5:40am
Subject:Order by problem
View as plain text
I'm having a problem with a query. If I enter in the following query
>without< an "order by" at the end, it works.

1) SELECT first.Name,first.location,first.Description from
second,first WHERE second.id='22' AND second.id=first.ID

But, if I add an "ORDER By first.Name" to it, it fails

e.g., SELECT first.Name,first.location,first.Description from
second,first WHERE second.id='22' AND second.id=first.ID ORDER BY
first.Name

The first.description field is a Text field. If I remove it, the query
with the ORDER BY works.  If I change the query to look at another
field (e.g., a date), the query works

e.g., SELECT first.Name,first.location,first.date from second,first
WHERE second.id='22' AND second.id=first.ID ORDER BY first.Name

Clearly, something is amiss because I've included a reference to
the text field.  Any ideas? I'm stuck.

Using 3.22.21 on NT.

Order by problemTim Jones27 Apr