List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Elliott Date:April 27 1999 4:38am
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
Jonathan:

Not only is your tone rude but your complaints are unfair and off-base.

1.  Full text index support is planned by mysql "contributors".
     I'm hoping for something soon.

2. Oracle's text-index implementation is an add-on, as is Sybase and
    Informix's datablades.   This is also not trivial to setup and
administer.
    Only Texis has an optimized RDBMS for this.  Be prepared to pay plenty.
    About $10,000 more than Mysql of which you have paid what?

3. That's a really strange table you have there.  What is it?  You might
     consider creating some static text files from it and index it with
something
     like htdig(www.htdig.org) or IB2 (www.bsn.com).  From there you can
hook
     back to your  database if you'd like.   There's always another way.

Jonathan, maybe you still have time for redemption, but I have a feeling
I'll modify my .procmailrc file soon.

- John Elliott

> take note dsylexia spoken here .. fluently.
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 09:01:00AM -0600, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> >
> > Sure, anybody who is really good with Oracle out there, go ahead, give
> > us a challenge.
>
> ok ...
>
> i've got a database with about 5000 records, its not big. it
> has some one hundred fileds, two if which are some sort of key
> and teh other 98 are text fileds varing in size from 800 char
> to several of over 64k
>
> we do searches based on teh text fileds .. wanna try that on
> mysql ?
>
> oops, mysql hasn't fully indexed or searchable based on those
> indexs .. text fileds .. sorry you loose.
>
> take care .. if you only have a hammer, the whole world is not
> just full of nails waiting to be hammered home..
>
> regards
>
> jonathan

===
> Jonathan Michaels
> PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May