List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 27 1999 3:58am
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
At 10:38 PM -0500 4/26/1999, Van wrote:
>Jonathan,
>Entirely unconstructive.  Care to contribute?
>> oops, mysql hasn't fully indexed or searchable based on those
>> indexs .. text fileds .. sorry you loose.
>If it sukcs so bda, wyh, aer you in this nsew grpou?
>Van,
>BTW, that is really weak.  >:(

I disagree that Jonathan's comments were unconstructive.  He accurately
points out some reasons in his two messages why MySQL is likely to be
given short shrift in big shops.  And those shops are where you're
likely to find Oracle.  So those reasons are valid points of comparison.

Some of his conclusions are, in fact, exactly what you would infer
based on the MySQL manual itself.  For instance, the manual points
out that one reason for MySQL's speed is that it doesn't have triggers,
commit/rollback, etc.  From that I presume that adding such things
to MySQL would, while increasing its bulletproof-ness, slow it down.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May