List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert Hazeltine Date:March 15 1999 11:06am
Subject:Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(
View as plain text
Karl

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> "Martin B. Jespersen" wrote:
> >
> > I am being spammed from aol daily through this list, it simply can't
> > be the idea here!
>
> Tell me about it - I've had 4 this morning! - I don't agree on the 'or this
> list is useless' - annoying yes, useless not quite :-)

The new list doesn't have a very good record so far and it's only been
going for a short time.

> > What about closing this list so only subscribers can mail to it?
> >
> > There is alot of good input here but if i'll have to take all the
> > spam as well i'll rather do without the list. It's really too bad how
> > many mailing lists get screwed up by spammers, while the listsadmins
> > sit flat on their butt doing squat about it.
>
> OK, I've also noticed the recent changes in the mailing list headers
> etc. now obscure the poster, so It's nigh impossible to chase things up
> (something I used to do :-) - OK the 'from:' and 'to:' address both say
> 'something@stripped' - but that's easily faked...
>
> How about blocking messages that aren't 'to:' the list?
>
> Somethings got to be done... :(

I agree and it's got to be done soon.

Rob...
Robert Hazeltine                      Member of UWSN Web Management Group
Project Officer (Web Development)     Phone:  +61 (2) 4736 0218
Central Administration                Email:  r.hazeltine@stripped
University of Western Sydney, Nepean  http://www.nepean.uws.edu.au/

Thread
Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Martin B. Jespersen15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Karl Pielorz15 Mar
    • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Robert Hazeltine15 Mar
    • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Dennis15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Dennis15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Karl Pielorz15 Mar
Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Fred Lindberg15 Mar
Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Ed Carp15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Martin B. Jespersen16 Mar
    • Can I get a field when inserting a row?Jochen Haeberle16 Mar
      • Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Thimble Smith16 Mar
        • Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Jochen Haeberle16 Mar
          • Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Thimble Smith16 Mar
    • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Micheal Mc Evoy16 Mar
Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Fred Lindberg16 Mar
Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Jochen Haeberle16 Mar
Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Ed Carp17 Mar