List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 26 1999 11:43pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
> Hi!
>
> The reason that we at TCX didn't answer to this request is that we
> have already run some test with MySQL against Oracle;  Take a look at
> the MySQL benchmark page:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/benchmark.html
>
> For a large range of application, MySQL is a much better choice than
> other commercial SQL servers, like Oracle, primarily because:
>
> - MySQL is usually much faster (using threads from the start, a lot of
>   very specific optimization, no transaction overhead...)
> - MySQL is easier to set up and use.
> - MySQL has API:s for most languages.
> - MySQL has a lot of features lacking in other SQL servers:
>   (Take a look at http://www.mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy)
> - The application requires extreme speed and in this case MySQL may be
>   the only choice.
> - MySQL has a large (and very helpful) user base!
> - You can order new features from TCX;  These features will be
>   included in the standard MySQL distribution without any additional
>   costs.
> - A better license;  No charge per users!
> - MySQL comes in source and is tested by many users.
>
> The last option also gives you the option that instead of buying
> another expensive system just because some feature is lacking in
> MySQL, you may be able to implement this into MySQL for the fraction
> of the cost of another system.

We all know why MySQL is good. I would much rather code
a mission critical application with MySQL for the
reasons Monty mentioned above. However the question is
convincing your IT manager to trust MySQL. That is one
reason for the contest. Another reason to join our
efforts to help Monty and TCX improve MySQL. For
example, I do not think it would be too hard to add some
basic distributed support, which would be one reason
some else would prefer Oracle. As all of us who are
interested try to bridge the gap in this area we could
add a few features here and there. In this way one by
one we can widen the acceptance of MySQL.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May