List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 15 2000 9:57am
Subject:Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1
View as plain text
>>>>> "ruschein" == ruschein  <ruschein@stripped> writes:

ruschein> Hi Michael:
ruschein> Also sprach Michael Widenius:
>> >>>>> "ruschein" == ruschein  <ruschein@stripped>
> writes:

ruschein> Also sprach Michael Widenius:
>> >> >>>>> "ruschein" == ruschein
> <ruschein@stripped> writes:

ruschein> Hi,
ruschein> I'm trying to insert keys that differ only in the accents on
ruschein> the letters into a VARCHAR column.  MySQL complains about
ruschein> duplicate keys.  I need to support ISO 8859-1 or maybe even
ruschein> multibyte characters at some point.  What can I do to have
ruschein> MySQL honour differences in accented charcters?

ruschein> If I try to insert both "bibliotheque" and "bibliothÈque" into a
> UNIQUE
ruschein> VARCHAR column I get an error messages about duplicate keys.

>> The problem here is that the default character map sorts and compares
>> 'e' and 'é' identically.

ruschein> I most definitely *want* ISO-8859-1 sorting.

>> In this case you have to define your own character map;  You can find
>> information how to do this in the MySQL manual.

ruschein> I found it.  I guess this means that I have to recompile MySQL from source.
ruschein> And I thought I could just install standard Debian packages.  It's a real
ruschein> nuisance to have to compile things this way.  I am also sysadmin for about
ruschein> 10 Linux systems and used to compile everything from scratch until a few
ruschein> years ago.  It's just too hard to stay on top of things by not sticking
ruschein> to a package management system.  One has to be on too many mailing lists,
ruschein> security problems are harder to track.  New releases are harder to track
ruschein> and compatibility of the installed software is occasionally an issue.
ruschein> Is there a way to work around this problem without recompiling MySQL?

Sorry no;  David here at TCX has promised to add support to dynamic
character sets as soon as he has time over;  With his current schedule
it however probably take at least 2 months :(

The problem is not that this is hard to do, it's just to find time to
do it :(

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Problems w/ ISO 8859-1ruschein13 Jan
  • Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1sinisa13 Jan
    • Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1ruschein13 Jan
  • Problems w/ ISO 8859-1Michael Widenius13 Jan
    • Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1ruschein13 Jan
      • Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1Michael Widenius14 Jan
        • Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1ruschein15 Jan
          • Re: Problems w/ ISO 8859-1Michael Widenius15 Jan