List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 26 1999 10:35pm
Subject:Re: I can't shut down mySQL.
View as plain text
>>>>> "Daevid" == Daevid Vincent <daywalker@stripped> writes:

>> Perhaps mysqld isn't running?
Daevid> there are a whole bunch of these entries.
Daevid> root     13941  0.0  2.3 11276  1496  ?  S N  12:27   0:00
Daevid> /usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/usr/local/var
Daevid> --skip-locking --log=/var/log/mysql.log

>> Assuming it is, perhaps you're on a system that uses MIT-pthreads, which doesn't
>> support UNIX domain sockets.

Daevid> Linux RH5.2

>> Try shutting down mysqld using "mysqladmin -h hostname -u root -p shutdown",
>> where "hostname" is the name of your host, to use a TCP/IP connection
>> explicitly.  ("-p" with no password immediately following will cause mysqladmin
>> to prompt you for the root password.)

Daevid> [root=ttyp0]12:44pm@wildtangent:{/root}> mysqladmin -h localhost -u root -p
Daevid> shutdown
Daevid> Enter password:
Daevid> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
Daevid> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'
Daevid> [root=ttyp0]12:45pm@wildtangent:{/root}> mysqladmin -h localhost -u root -p
Daevid> [root=ttyp0]12:45pm@wildtangent:{/root}> mysqladmin -h wildtangent.com -u
> root -p
Daevid> shutdown
Daevid> Enter password:
Daevid> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'wildtangent.com' failed
Daevid> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@stripped' (Using password: YES)'
Daevid> [root=ttyp0]12:46pm@wildtangent:{/root}>

Daevid> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Daevid> Please check "http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_toc.html" before
Daevid> posting. To request this thread, e-mail mysql-thread2414@stripped

Daevid> To unsubscribe, send a message to the address shown in the
Daevid> List-Unsubscribe header of this message. If you cannot see it,
Daevid> e-mail mysql-unsubscribe@stripped instead.

Hi!

In this case you have to send a 'kill' signal to the mysqld thread!

'kill 13941'

When you restart mysqld, do it with the -Sg script;  After this you
will be able to check your MySQL privilege tables why your root
password doesn't work anymore.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
AUTO_INCREMENT Limit?Ben Kirkpatrick24 Apr
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT Limit?Paul DuBois24 Apr
    • I can't shut down mySQL.Daevid Vincent24 Apr
      • Re: I can't shut down mySQL.Paul DuBois24 Apr
    • this listtaubin24 Apr
    • Re: this listFred Read26 Apr
    • Re: I can't shut down mySQL.Daevid Vincent26 Apr
      • Re: I can't shut down mySQL.Michael Widenius27 Apr
    • Re: I can't shut down mySQL.Sasha Pachev27 Apr
  • Re: AUTO_INCREMENT Limit?Thimble Smith24 Apr