List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 26 1999 11:00pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text

>> MySQL is very different in from Oracle-type databases in the way it is
>> marketed, supported, and licenced. It is more affordable, and much
>> better supported, as all of us know very well. Unfortunately, there are
>> many executives and developers that still do not trust MySQL, because of
>> some missing features, the need for workarounds, etc. To overcome this
>> prejudice while helping Monty and the bunch improve MySQL I am proposing
>> a contest - Oracle vs MySQL.

Johan> I think it certainly is a question about prejudice, as you stated and
Johan> expected your message to generate a lot of replies. Instead no-one
Johan> seems to react. I just wonder what the reason might be? Are the
Johan> developers of MySQL affraid that their db-engine wouldn't cope
Johan> against the Oracle in performance-tests or are they affraid of
Johan> aggravating the big db-giant into offensive action? One thing is for
Johan> sure; a lot of people rule out MySQL in the very beginning when
Johan> developing largescale, performance critical and stable systems just
Johan> because there is not enough reliable comparative data available.
Johan> Oracle rides on its history and reputation as a fast and stable,
Johan> database when MySQL does not have the same kind of credibility,
Johan> at least not at the broader scale.

<cut>

Hi!

The reason that we at TCX didn't answer to this request is that we
have already run some test with MySQL against Oracle;  Take a look at
the MySQL benchmark page:

http://www.mysql.com/benchmark.html

For a large range of application, MySQL is a much better choice than
other commercial SQL servers, like Oracle, primarily because:

- MySQL is usually much faster (using threads from the start, a lot of
  very specific optimization, no transaction overhead...)
- MySQL is easier to set up and use.
- MySQL has API:s for most languages.
- MySQL has a lot of features lacking in other SQL servers:
  (Take a look at http://www.mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy)
- The application requires extreme speed and in this case MySQL may be
  the only choice.
- MySQL has a large (and very helpful) user base!
- You can order new features from TCX;  These features will be
  included in the standard MySQL distribution without any additional
  costs.
- A better license;  No charge per users!
- MySQL comes in source and is tested by many users.

The last option also gives you the option that instead of buying
another expensive system just because some feature is lacking in
MySQL, you may be able to implement this into MySQL for the fraction
of the cost of another system.

On the other hand, there is of course areas when MySQL is less
suitable.  Even in these MySQL may be a good choice just because the
price tag is much smaller!

MySQL is not very well suited if:

- You have an old system that is done with transactions from the
  start.
- If you need features that is not yet implemented in MySQL and no
  workaround is acceptable. (Note that many sub-selects can easily be
  converted to normal joins)
- If you have problems with that your server hardware goes done or
  that you have unstable clients and don't have time to add some extra
  code to make your application reasonable secure even without
  transactions.
- Your application requires mirroring or you want to distribute load
  between different machines (instead of adding more processors to
  one machine)

Note that Oracle doesn't have a reputation to be fast!  Oracle has a
reputation to be very stable, but one needs to be an Oracle expert to
get it fast! (I have heard this from most Oracle users, so I thinks
this is quite true).

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May