List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:April 26 1999 10:54pm
Subject:Re: Using special characters in foreign languages
View as plain text
On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 06:44:16PM -0400, Van wrote:
> Giancarlo Bonansea wrote:
> > What I'm trying to explain is that "Bagé" should be compared the same as
> > "Bage".
>
> You might need to write a custom function.

No, the German language has this feature, and perhaps others.  I'm
not really familiar with how this works, but there's a compile-time
flag for selecting what the charset is.  And perhaps the same one
that works with German will work with Portugese.  If not, it should
just be a matter of defining a new collating sequence and compiling.

Here's one relevant posting from the mailing list archive:

http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=mysql&m=92217882732507&w=2

Tim
Thread
Using special characters in foreign languagesGiancarlo Bonansea27 Apr
  • Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesVan27 Apr
    • Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesThimble Smith27 Apr
RE: Using special characters in foreign languagesGiancarlo Bonansea27 Apr
Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesFred Lindberg27 Apr