List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Luuk de Boer Date:January 1 1970 12:00am
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
On 26 Apr 99, at 9:01, Sasha Pachev wrote:

[cutting cutting]
> > Maybe we first have to decide if you can at this moment compare
> > mysql with oracle. Maybe the database engine is faster and more
> > stabel as the one from oracle. But that isn't the only thing
> > oracle is delivering. They deliver also some GUI around it, the
> > name, the company etc etc .... and what you can't forget it's
> > easier to find an new employee who knows oracle as one who knows
> > mysql (by thinking of the companies perspective) and I think a
> > lot of people will select the database more on the latest part
> > as of the database engine.
>
> That's OK. I know that there are a lot of things MySQL does not have
> yet, but can you see the vision? Just like Linux will trash NT in amlost
> every aspect of comparision, I would like to see MySQL get to that
> level. It is Open Source/work together to make it better/share with
> everyone vs. develop inside the company to make a big buck. The first
> benefits all of us, the second only those who collect profits.

I was allready seeing that vision 2 years ago so that isn't the
problem. And I would love to see mysql trashing oracle or another
product but do you really think it will be smart to start now an
benchmark event to see who is faster. I think the people who are
on the net and are working often with databases on the net will
know mysql is one of the fastest databases for this kind of job so
developers who are interested in helping developing mysql are
doing it allready or will start doing it in the future. So that won't be
that big win with a competition. The name will be better known
around the world but if it will in a good way that's a bit of a
question. I think a lot of people will look for a small moment to
mysql and will see that their aren't any subselects or views and will
say ... you can''t take that seriously .. that's what my experience is
with other dba's or other people. That's why my proposal is to wait
a little bit longer work a little bit harder developing mysql and after
that to start talking again about doing something like the ms-sql -
oracle contest ...

> > But if we would like to start an contest why aren't we trying to
> > do a tcp d benchmark first to see how mysql is doing.
> >

> Sure, anybody who is really good with Oracle out there, go ahead, give
> us a challenge.

The results of oracle you can see at www.tpc.com but now mysql
has only to support all the sql which is in the tpc d benchmark to
make an official run .... so if we first program those functions in
mysql we start thinking again.

Greetz...

Luuk

|  Luuk de Boer -> <luuk@stripped>                                      |
|  When you want to go fast .....                                       |
|  Drive a cobra on the road and take a T3 line for internet ...... :-) |
|  http://www.luuk.com/  -> The AC Cobra site                           |
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May