List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:April 26 1999 10:44pm
Subject:Re: Using special characters in foreign languages
View as plain text
Giancarlo Bonansea wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been using MySQL 3.22.21 in the last 2 weeks and I'm writing from
> Brazil. Our language is Portuguese and we use some letters with accents,
> like a,á,c,ç and others.
>
> MySQL can handle them very well, I don't have problems doing INSERTs and
> SELECTs, but... I'd like to do a "SELECT * FROM <table> WHERE <field>
> LIKE
> '%e%'" and get as the result all the rows that contains fields with "e" and
> "é". Forgetting accents is a very common mistake in Portuguese, so it's
> difficult to implement a search if we can't pass over this language problem.
> What I'm trying to explain is that "Bagé" should be compared the same as
> "Bage".
>
> Is there a special configuration or compilation to activate this feature ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Giancarlo
> gbonanse@stripped
> gbonanse@stripped
Giancarlo,
You might need to write a custom function.  Or, perhaps a module, but,
if you're not programming with MySQL, and, merely interfacing with a
web-interface like PHP, putting such a function together would be fairly
simple work.  Try www.php.net.
Van
Linux rocks!!!   www.dedserius.com
Using special characters in foreign languagesGiancarlo Bonansea27 Apr
  • Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesVan27 Apr
    • Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesThimble Smith27 Apr
RE: Using special characters in foreign languagesGiancarlo Bonansea27 Apr
Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesFred Lindberg27 Apr