List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Giancarlo Bonansea Date:April 26 1999 10:13pm
Subject:Using special characters in foreign languages
View as plain text
Hello all,

I've been using MySQL 3.22.21 in the last 2 weeks and I'm writing from
Brazil. Our language is Portuguese and we use some letters with accents,
like a,á,c,ç and others.

MySQL can handle them very well, I don't have problems doing INSERTs and
SELECTs, but... I'd like to do a "SELECT * FROM <table> WHERE <field> LIKE
'%e%'" and get as the result all the rows that contains fields with "e" and
"é". Forgetting accents is a very common mistake in Portuguese, so it's
difficult to implement a search if we can't pass over this language problem.
What I'm trying to explain is that "Bagé" should be compared the same as
"Bage".

Is there a special configuration or compilation to activate this feature ?

Thanks in advance,

Giancarlo
gbonanse@stripped
gbonanse@stripped
Thread
Using special characters in foreign languagesGiancarlo Bonansea27 Apr
  • Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesVan27 Apr
    • Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesThimble Smith27 Apr
RE: Using special characters in foreign languagesGiancarlo Bonansea27 Apr
Re: Using special characters in foreign languagesFred Lindberg27 Apr