List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:March 15 1999 10:51am
Subject:Re: Caching..
View as plain text
Mark Papadakis wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It might sound a bit crazy, but is there any way I can get Linux/mySQL to cache
> a database. Even if it 'd take 500Megs to do that, we are willing to go for it
> to get the speed we need for our search engine project.
>
> I don't think it can be done, just thought I 'd ask. Btw, if anyone is
> interested in linux, check http://linux.pathfinder.gr/
>
> Thank you,
> Mark

One sure way to do it is create a RAM disk, and every time  you boot,
mount it on /usr/local/mysql/data/my_fast_database then copy
/usr/local/mysql/data/my_slow_database
to my_fast_database, and periodically runcheckpoints to make sure you do
not loose you updates if the system crashes.
--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com