List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 26 1999 8:22pm
Subject:Re: I can't shut down mySQL.
View as plain text
Daevid Vincent wrote:

> > Perhaps mysqld isn't running?
>
> there are a whole bunch of these entries.
> root     13941  0.0  2.3 11276  1496  ?  S N  12:27   0:00
> /usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/usr/local/var
> --skip-locking --log=/var/log/mysql.log
>
> > Assuming it is, perhaps you're on a system that uses MIT-pthreads, which
> doesn't
> > support UNIX domain sockets.
>
> Linux RH5.2
>
> > Try shutting down mysqld using "mysqladmin -h hostname -u root -p shutdown",
> > where "hostname" is the name of your host, to use a TCP/IP connection
> > explicitly.  ("-p" with no password immediately following will cause mysqladmin
> > to prompt you for the root password.)
>
> [root=ttyp0]12:44pm@wildtangent:{/root}> mysqladmin -h localhost -u root -p
> shutdown
> Enter password:
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'
> [root=ttyp0]12:45pm@wildtangent:{/root}> mysqladmin -h localhost -u root -p
> shutdown
> Enter password:
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'
> [root=ttyp0]12:45pm@wildtangent:{/root}> mysqladmin -h wildtangent.com -u root -p
> shutdown
> Enter password:
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'wildtangent.com' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@stripped' (Using password: YES)'
> [root=ttyp0]12:46pm@wildtangent:{/root}>

telnet localhost 3306, see if you get something
telnet wildtangent.com 3306 , I actually tried that one
( if you have a firewall, I recommned closing that port
just in case) connected successfully, but your system
did not like me and disconnected me right away and told
me my host stinks :). Also can you connect without
mysqladmin? Check your privilige system, make sure it
likes you. Check your logs, you might find something
interesting in them.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)