List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Barry Date:April 26 1999 7:49pm
Subject:Selects with case sensitivity
View as plain text
Hello All,

I am a semi-newbie so this should be a super easy one. I am doing a simple
authorization db for our web server. As a test I created the following db.

Auth
  User  char(32)
  Pwd   char(16)

and entered the following

  User     Pwd
  Barry    Sch

if I do the any of the following in the utility myAdmin

  Select * from Auth where User='Barry' and Pwd='Sch'
  Select * from Auth where User='barry' and Pwd='scH'
  Select * from Auth where User='BARRY' and Pwd='sCh'

it returns the Barry Sch row shown above.

I would like to do a Select where User is not case sensitive, but where Pwd
is case sensitive. Searching the manual I came up with:

  Select * from Auth where User='barry' and strcmp(Pwd,'Sch')=0

It does what I want. Is this the best way?

Thanks,
Barry.

Thread
Looking for ISP that provides MySQLChristopher R. Jones26 Apr
  • Re: Looking for ISP that provides MySQLBill Gerrard26 Apr
  • Re: Looking for ISP that provides MySQLBill Rhodes26 Apr
    • Selects with case sensitivityBarry26 Apr
    • Re: Looking for ISP that provides MySQLChris Jester27 Apr
    • Re: Looking for ISP that provides MySQLKyle Cordes27 Apr
      • Re: Looking for ISP that provides MySQLJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Selects with case sensitivitySasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Selects with case sensitivityThimble Smith27 Apr
      • Problems with BINARY keywordRichard Antecki28 Apr
        • Re: Problems with BINARY keywordFred Read28 Apr
        • Re: Problems with BINARY keywordVladimir Berezniker29 Apr
        • Problems with BINARY keywordMichael Widenius11 May
    • Re: Selects with case sensitivityMartin Ramsch27 Apr
      • Re: Selects with - ThanksBarry27 Apr