List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 26 1999 6:55pm
Subject:Re: MySQL bug with wildcard search?
View as plain text
At 11:28 AM -0500 4/26/1999, Harald Fuchs wrote:
>Hi,
>I think I have found a bug in MySQL (3.21.33b, for pc-linux-gnu on
>i686, if that should matter):
>
>mysql> create table foo (bar varchar(20));
>Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
>mysql> insert into foo values ('aaa\\bbb');
>Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
>           # Need to duplicate backslash since \b is a backspace, but we
>really
>           # want `aaa backslash bbb'
>mysql> select * from foo where bar like 'aaa%';
>+---------+
>| bar     |
>+---------+
>| aaa\bbb |
>+---------+
>1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>           # Fine!
>mysql> select * from foo where bar like 'aaa\b%';
>Empty set (0.00 sec)
>           # Mhm - maybe we need to escape the backslash again?
>mysql> select * from foo where bar like 'aaa\\b%';
>Empty set (0.00 sec)
>           # This is a bug, I think ...
>mysql> select * from foo where bar like 'aaa_b%';
>+---------+
>| bar     |
>+---------+
>| aaa\bbb |
>+---------+
>1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>           # ... because this works

mysql> select * from foo where bar like 'aaa\\\\bbb';
+---------+
| bar     |
| aaa\bbb |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

The backslashes are stripped once by the parser, and another time
when the pattern match is done, leaving a single backslash to be
matched.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
MySQL bug with wildcard search?Harald Fuchs26 Apr