List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 13 2000 12:47pm
Subject:Re: how to get the id of a newly inserted record???
View as plain text
At 12:00 AM -0500 2000-01-13, Jamie Le Tual wrote:
>the first thing you do after the execute for the insert is
>
>my $id = $sth->{insertid};
>
>I think there used to be a way to do it through the $dbh ref but I
>remember reading somewhere that that was deprecated; but I can't find that
>reference. Anyways, I just tried the example above to be sure it works,
>and it does.

Actually, it's the other way around.  The $sth->{insertid} form (based
on the statement handle) is the deprecated form.  The newer form
$dbh->{mysql_insertid} (based on the database handle) is the preferred
form now.  Older versions of DBD::mysql do not have the latter form,
though.

I think I misspelled that form as $dbh->{mysql_insert_id} in my

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread