List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 26 1999 3:01pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text

> The competition is maybe a good idea but a lot of database
> people will say ... no transaction support / subqueries / views
> you can't get serious about mysql ....
> that will be another big discussion I think ...
>
> With such a competition you won't say anything about the
> stability but only about performance.
>
> Maybe we first have to decide if you can at this moment compare
> mysql with oracle. Maybe the database engine is faster and more
> stabel as the one from oracle. But that isn't the only thing
> oracle is delivering. They deliver also some GUI around it, the
> name, the company etc etc .... and what you can't forget it's
> easier to find an new employee who knows oracle as one who knows
> mysql (by thinking of the companies perspective) and I think a
> lot of people will select the database more on the latest part
> as of the database engine.

That's OK. I know that there are a lot of things MySQL does not have
yet, but can you see the vision? Just like Linux will trash NT in amlost
every aspect of comparision, I would like to see MySQL get to that
level. It is Open Source/work together to make it better/share with
everyone vs. develop inside the company to make a big buck. The first
benefits all of us, the second only those who collect profits.

> But if we would like to start an contest why aren't we trying to
> do a tcp d benchmark first to see how mysql is doing.

Sure, anybody who is really good with Oracle out there, go ahead, give
us a challenge.

> Greetz...
>
> Luuk

Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com
Thread
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May