List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 12 2000 6:20pm
Subject:Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam
tables?
View as plain text
>>>>> "Andy" == Andy  <andy1@stripped> writes:

Andy> At 07:31 PM 1/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> Also because some people use auto_increment values to link tables
>> together.. then isamchk couldn't be used on those tables because it would
>> break the linkage between the tables.
>>
>> Tables linked in this manner must be repaired very carefully.
>>
>> Later,
>>
>> Jeremy

Andy> Could you explain more? If I can't use isamchk on tables with
Andy> auto_increment, how should I repair them?

Jeremy only meant that if you repair a table with isamchk and isamchk
can't find all rows, you need to check that there isn't any rows in
any other tables that has a reference to a deleted row in the repaired
table.

This is because when you insert new rows within ISAM tables it may
reuse an auto_increment id that was in use before.
(With MyISAM tables this is much less likely as the auto-increment
value is stored explicitely in the index file).

Under normal circumstances isamchk and myisamchk should of course be
able to restore all rows so this isn't that a big problem, but one
should at least be aware of it!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs9 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa9 Jan
    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs9 Jan
      • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Tim Bunce10 Jan
        • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Michael Widenius10 Jan
          • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Tim Bunce11 Jan
      • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa10 Jan
        • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
          • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa10 Jan
            • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
              • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa10 Jan
                • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
                  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Tim Bunce11 Jan
                    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Michael Widenius11 Jan
                  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Michael Widenius11 Jan
                    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?jcole11 Jan
      • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Michael Widenius10 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?apocoliptica10 Jan
    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Sasha Pachev10 Jan
RE: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?John Foley11 Jan
Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Andy12 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Michael Widenius12 Jan