List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:luuk Date:April 26 1999 1:07pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
>> MySQL is very different in from Oracle-type databases in the
way it is
>> marketed, supported, and licenced. It is more affordable, and
much
>> better supported, as all of us know very well. Unfortunately,
there are
>> many executives and developers that still do not trust MySQL,
because of
>> some missing features, the need for workarounds, etc. To
overcome this
>> prejudice while helping Monty and the bunch improve MySQL I
am proposing
>> a contest - Oracle vs MySQL.
>
>I think it certainly is a question about prejudice, as you
stated and
>expected your message to generate a lot of replies. Instead
no-one
>seems to react. I just wonder what the reason might be? Are the

>developers of MySQL affraid that their db-engine wouldn't cope

>against the Oracle in performance-tests or are they affraid of

>aggravating the big db-giant into offensive action? One thing
is for
>sure; a lot of people rule out MySQL in the very beginning
when
>developing largescale, performance critical and stable systems
just
>because there is not enough reliable comparative data
available.
>Oracle rides on its history and reputation as a fast and
stable,
>database when MySQL does not have the same kind of credibility,

>at least not at the broader scale.
>
>It should be in every MySQL-enthusiast's interest to clarify
the
>differences between MySQL and heavy and expensive databases
>like Oracle. Even if MySQL would loose some parts of the
>competition, it still is quite much more affordable than Oracle
and
>alike. If you could just get out a message of assurance, that
MySQL
>is in fact a very competitive, stable and fast solution, even
when
>comparing to it's heavy-weight rivals, I defenitely think
people would
>consider it more carefully when making decisions about
databases
>in large projects.
>
>To sum it up, it would be quite a good idea to set up a
competition of
>somekind, as you suggested. Another thing that would be
appreciated
>is some kind of collection of statements from people, that have
used
>MySQL-successfully in large-scale performance-critical systems;

>preferably by people from well-known and recognized
organisations
>worldwide. These kinds of actions would earn MySQL the
recognition
>and respect in the worldwide IT-industry that it deserves.

The competition is maybe a good idea but a lot of database
people will say ... no transaction support / subqueries / views
you can't get serious about mysql ....
that will be another big discussion I think ...

With such a competition you won't say anything about the
stability but only about performance.

Maybe we first have to decide if you can at this moment compare
mysql with oracle. Maybe the database engine is faster and more
stabel as the one from oracle. But that isn't the only thing
oracle is delivering. They deliver also some GUI around it, the
name, the company etc etc .... and what you can't forget it's
easier to find an new employee who knows oracle as one who knows
mysql (by thinking of the companies perspective) and I think a
lot of people will select the database more on the latest part
as of the database engine.

But if we would like to start an contest why aren't we trying to
do a tcp d benchmark first to see how mysql is doing.

Greetz...

Luuk

Thread
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May