List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan Engström Date:April 26 1999 10:34am
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text
> MySQL is very different in from Oracle-type databases in the way it is
> marketed, supported, and licenced. It is more affordable, and much
> better supported, as all of us know very well. Unfortunately, there are
> many executives and developers that still do not trust MySQL, because of
> some missing features, the need for workarounds, etc. To overcome this
> prejudice while helping Monty and the bunch improve MySQL I am proposing
> a contest - Oracle vs MySQL.

I think it certainly is a question about prejudice, as you stated and
expected your message to generate a lot of replies. Instead no-one
seems to react. I just wonder what the reason might be? Are the
developers of MySQL affraid that their db-engine wouldn't cope
against the Oracle in performance-tests or are they affraid of
aggravating the big db-giant into offensive action? One thing is for
sure; a lot of people rule out MySQL in the very beginning when
developing largescale, performance critical and stable systems just
because there is not enough reliable comparative data available.
Oracle rides on its history and reputation as a fast and stable,
database when MySQL does not have the same kind of credibility,
at least not at the broader scale.

It should be in every MySQL-enthusiast's interest to clarify the
differences between MySQL and heavy and expensive databases
like Oracle. Even if MySQL would loose some parts of the
competition, it still is quite much more affordable than Oracle and
alike. If you could just get out a message of assurance, that MySQL
is in fact a very competitive, stable and fast solution, even when
comparing to it's heavy-weight rivals, I defenitely think people would
consider it more carefully when making decisions about databases
in large projects.

To sum it up, it would be quite a good idea to set up a competition of
somekind, as you suggested. Another thing that would be appreciated
is some kind of collection of statements from people, that have used
MySQL-successfully in large-scale performance-critical systems;
preferably by people from well-known and recognized organisations
worldwide. These kinds of actions would earn MySQL the recognition
and respect in the worldwide IT-industry that it deserves.

JE

Thread
Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May