List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 11 2000 10:11am
Subject:Trouble with HEAP table and index usage
View as plain text
>>>>> "Brien" == Brien Voorhees <brien.voorhees@stripped> writes:

I was scanning through old mails to check for unsolved things and
stumbled across the following:

Brien> I have a large (millions or records, several hundred megabytes) table that I
> need to perform fast queries on.  The table contains historical price data for stock
> ticker symbols (e.g. IBM, 19990801, 23.50) and I need to retrieve records for a particular
> symbol and a date range.  I created a HEAP table, copied my data into it, and indexed it
> on name but when I do
Brien> SELECT * FROM PriceDays WHERE name = 'IBM';
Brien> or
Brien> SELECT * FROM PriceDays WHERE name = 'IBM' and pricedate >= 19990801 AND
> pricedate < 19990901;
Brien> only one record is returned.  Is there a limitation to HEAP table indexes that
> there can only be 1 record per index key (i.e. unique) or something?

I just wanted to inform you that the above problem is fixed in MySQL
3.23.9, which will be released shortly.

Regards,
Monty

PS: Sorry for the delay, but during December I wasn't active on the
    mailing list and didn't get this forward to me :(
Thread
Trouble with HEAP table and index usageBrien Voorhees13 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageScott Hess13 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageBrien Voorhees14 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageSasha Pachev14 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageBrien Voorhees15 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageBrien Voorhees15 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageSteve Ruby15 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageBrien Voorhees15 Dec
  • Re: Trouble with HEAP table and index usageSasha Pachev15 Dec
  • Trouble with HEAP table and index usageMichael Widenius11 Jan