List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 11 2000 2:10am
Subject:mysqld --help output wrong for datadir (re hotcopy)
View as plain text

Tim> The output from mysqld --help on one machine says:
Tim> mysqld  Ver 3.22.21 for sun-solaris2.5.1 on sparc
Tim> datadir:     /usr001/mysql/mysql-3.22.21-sun-solaris2.5.1-sparc/var/

Tim> on another it says:

Tim> mysqld  Ver 3.23.8-alpha for sun-solaris2.5.1 on sparc
Tim> datadir:     /usr/local/mysql/var/

Tim> In both cases a mysqld is running and the datadir value is wrong, there
Tim> is no var directory in those locations.

Tim> In the first case the 'var/' should be 'data/'.  In the second, from a
Tim> freshly unpacked binary release after running mysql_install_db, the
Tim> path is totally wrong. It should be
Tim> /opt/mysql/mysql-3.23.8-alpha-sun-solaris2.5.1-sparc/data/.

Tim> This is all particularly sad since I'm hoping to parse `mysqld --help`
Tim> output in my mysqlhotcopy utility to locate the database directory. :-(

Tim> Is this a known bug? What effect does the bug have? Is there a
Tim> workaround?

Tim> How else can I determine the database data directory for a particular
Tim> server? Ideally via a database connection.

Try 'mysqladmin variables'

Note that 'safe_mysqld' will fix the database path for binary MySQL
releases compiled with another path!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
mysqld --help output wrong for datadir (re hotcopy)Tim Bunce11 Jan
  • mysqld --help output wrong for datadir (re hotcopy)Michael Widenius11 Jan
    • Re: mysqld --help output wrong for datadir (re hotcopy)Tim Bunce11 Jan