List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 11 2000 1:32am
Subject:Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?
View as plain text

Tim> On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 01:18:00PM -0500, Bill Marrs wrote:
>>
>> >The command is, as I said: cd your_database; myisamchk -fe *.MYI
>>
>> -f will restart with -r if it finds there are any errors in the table.  My
>> desire for this recovery to work the first time without a need for someone
>> to re-run it (the --help for -o says "Slower than '-r' but can handle a
>> couple of cases where '-r' reports that it can't fix the data file"), made
>> me think that using -ef might not always fix everything.
>>
>> Also, why isn't the functionality of -A (auto-increment repair)
>> incorporated into -r and -o?

Tim> And why doesn't -r auto restart myisamchk with -o? (Or why isn't there
Tim> an option to do that?)

Simply because in normal use -o should never be needed, except if
there is some bugs in the sort code that builds the indexes; Nowadays
the sort code is pretty good tested and should be as good (or even
better) than -o.

Tim> Seems to me that isamchk/myisamchk has not been designed for unattended
Tim> use. But that's what many people need, and what people used to the
Tim> crash-proofness of transactional databases would expect.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs9 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa9 Jan
    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs9 Jan
      • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Tim Bunce10 Jan
        • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Michael Widenius10 Jan
          • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Tim Bunce11 Jan
      • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa10 Jan
        • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
          • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa10 Jan
            • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
              • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?sinisa10 Jan
                • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
                  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Tim Bunce11 Jan
                    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Michael Widenius11 Jan
                  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Michael Widenius11 Jan
                    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?jcole11 Jan
      • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Michael Widenius10 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?apocoliptica10 Jan
    • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Bill Marrs10 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisamtables?Sasha Pachev10 Jan
RE: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?John Foley11 Jan
Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Andy12 Jan
  • Re: what is the best way to do unattended recovery of myisam tables?Michael Widenius12 Jan