List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 25 1999 7:28pm
Subject:Re: File sizes on remote server
View as plain text

Jules> Mimi Church wrote:

>> Thanks for your suggestions, Sasha.  Unfortunately they won't solve the
>> problem.
>>
>> 1. I can't telnet into the remote mySQL server.  I assume this is one way
>> the host provides protection for a shared db server.
>>
>> 2. I can estimate the sizes of the tables using the method you describe
>> (and even estimate the size required by indices, thanks to good mySQL docs
>> / utils).  I've done this and estimate a total size of around 12 MB for all
>> tables.  The ISP reports that my tables in the db occupy 618 MB.  I suspect
>> that one (at least) of the tables has been corrupted, and even though I
>> drop, recreate the table, and reimport data, somehow things aren't really
>> getting cleaned up.  But I need to be able to look at the actual file sizes
>> to pursue this theory.
>>
>> Any further suggestions on how to address this problem would be most
>> appreciated.  I'm stuck.

Jules> As far as I know, there's no way of doing this (I expect Monty will
Jules> speak up if I'm wrong).

You are right;  For the moment you can't get the exact size (without
an UDF function of course.

I have plans to in the real near future add a lot of information to
the output of SHOW TABLES, but in the mean time you have to use ls.

Jules> Can't you persuade your ISP to email you a ls -l of your table files?
Jules> Then you can see if they've made some foolish mistake (perhaps believe
Jules> that another similarly named table is yours).

Another option is to persuade your ISP to create a unique unix group for
database and put you in this group.  After this you would be able to
look at your own tables without any problems!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
File sizes on remote serverMimi Church24 Apr
  • Re: File sizes on remote serverSasha Pachev24 Apr
    • Re: File sizes on remote serverMimi Church24 Apr
      • Re: File sizes on remote serverPaul DuBois24 Apr
  • Re: File sizes on remote serverJules Bean24 Apr
    • Re: File sizes on remote serverMichael Widenius25 Apr
  • Re: File sizes on remote serverSasha Pachev24 Apr
Re: File sizes on remote serverFred Lindberg24 Apr