List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bill Gerrard Date:January 9 2000 6:35am
Subject:RE: Feature Request: More verbose error messages
View as plain text
Hi William,

> I have a feature request: Increase the verbosity of error messages.  For
> example, if you attempt to connect with a bad password, you get the
> following error:
>
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'foo@localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
> While helpful in that the message explains that the user did specify a
> password, the message doesn't clue in the user to the fact that they were
> using a *bad* password.  It would be helpful to be told why access was
> denied.  (This is with MySQL 3.22.29.)

I disagree.  For security purposes, it is better not to tell exactly why
access failed.  If someone was trying to hack into your db, would you want
your db telling them "okay you have a valid user and host, but the password
is incorrect"--so they would focus on hacking them password.  I would prefer
leaving them wondering "do I have a valid username, password, etc?"

Regards,
Bill

Thread
Feature Request: More verbose error messagesWilliam Rhodes9 Jan
  • RE: Feature Request: More verbose error messagesBill Gerrard9 Jan
    • RE: Feature Request: More verbose error messageshypnos9 Jan
      • RE: Feature Request: More verbose error messagesWilliam Rhodes10 Jan
  • Re: Feature Request: More verbose error messagesmiguel angel sol√≥rzano9 Jan
  • Re: Feature Request: More verbose error messagesSasha Pachev10 Jan