List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:January 8 2000 11:11pm
Subject:Re: Timestamp stuff..
View as plain text
At 2:55 PM -0800 1/8/00, Kole Dunn wrote:
>Great! thanks, it worked! I wasn't kidding when I said I was really
>new at this, eh? Back to reading the manual more carefully...
>
>KD
>

>>The query should be like this, not specifying a NULL for the current
>>field. :-)
>>
>>INSERT INTO timetest (stuff) VALUES ('stuff');
>>
>> >OK, here is the statement and the result:
>> >

>> >mysql> INSERT INTO timetest VALUES ('stuff','NULL');
>> >Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

Actually, I think you CAN use NULL here to set the timestamp to
current time; however, 'NULL' - a string value - is not equivalent to
NULL. Did you try

	INSERT INTO timetest VALUES ('stuff',NULL);

If you don't specify all fields in an INSERT statement, I'm 94.56%
sure that MySQL will insert the column's default value or NULL if
there is no default.

	- steve

>> >mysql> select*from timetest;
>> >+-----------+----------------+
>> >| stuff     | current        |
>> >+-----------+----------------+
>> >| teststuff | 00000000000000 |
>> >| stuff     | 00000000000000 |
>> >+-----------+----------------+
>> >2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>> >
>> >Still just zeros...
>> >
>> >KD

> TIMESTAMP);

> displayed

+--------------- my people are the people of the dessert, ---------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |
| sbedberg@stripped                                     (530)754-9127 |
| Computer Consultant                         http://aesric.ucdavis.edu/ |
+---------------- said t e lawrence, picking up his fork ----------------+
Thread
Timestamp stuff..Kole Dunn9 Jan
Re: Timestamp stuff..Kole Dunn9 Jan
  • Re: Timestamp stuff..Vivek Khera10 Jan
    • RE: Timestamp stuff..Robert Goff10 Jan
Re: Timestamp stuff..kevin9 Jan
Re: Timestamp stuff..Kole Dunn9 Jan
  • Re: Timestamp stuff..Steve Edberg9 Jan
Re: Timestamp stuff..Paul DuBois9 Jan