List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 25 1999 4:21pm
Subject:Re: Connection over network
View as plain text
LZW wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am a CGI programmer.  The Mysql server and CGI
> scripts are running on the same machine.
> I just wonder, if I move MySQL server to another
> machine and let the CGI scripts establish connection
> over network, will that be a performance gain or loss?
> I believe that, for now, the CGI scripts talk to MySQL
> via unix stream.  If I "split" them apart, they will
> talk to each other via TCP/IP (correct me if I am wrong)
> So there'd be a bigger overhead upon establishing connection
> and the data transfer should be slower ... (am I right?)
> But on the other hand, if MySQL has a dedicated server
> to it, it can process queries a lot quicker.
>
> I am on a 100MBPS LAN with very low network latency.
>
> Does anyone has a suggestion or ideas?
>
> Thanx :)

You could either have gain or loss. If you have very CPU-intesive web
server stuff going, eg lots of  large Perl CGI hits, and your queries do
not return a lot of data, then the separation will result in a gain. If
your web server does not use very much CPU, and your queries return a
lot of results, you will see a loss. The only way to know what would
happen is very careful system monitoring, and well-designed benchmarks.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com