List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:January 7 2000 12:25am
Subject:Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?
View as plain text
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:58:40 +0000 (GMT), hypnos wrote:

>I just broke down and run mysqladmin shutdown before
>backing up the files, then restarting it after I'm
>done.  It takes less than 60 seconds to copies the
>databases I want to back up, and my server isn't
>"mission-critical" or anything, just used on my local
>network, so 1 minute of downtime about 6 a.m. isn't
>gonna affect me. :)

What would be really nice is a signal to send to the server with a
database_name (e.g. via mysqladmin) that would copy the files in the
database directory to a backup directory (e.g. database#bak where '#'
is a char not allowed in a db name), with the data appropriately
committed to file (file system cache is ok) and locked against
modification, followede by UNLOCK of the database.

This could be made very fast and simple and the backup dir could then
be backed up to whereever.

-Sincerely, Fred

shutdown mysql when backing up?hypnos6 Jan
  • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce6 Jan
    • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Paul DuBois6 Jan
      • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce6 Jan
        • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce6 Jan
          • RE: shutdown mysql when backing up?Daniel Lafraia7 Jan
            • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce7 Jan
        • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Michael Widenius7 Jan
          • is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Cheng-Wei Cheng7 Jan
            • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Patrick Greenwell7 Jan
            • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Mark Zieg7 Jan
          • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce7 Jan
            • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Michael Widenius7 Jan
  • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Scott Hess6 Jan
    • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?hypnos7 Jan
Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?wayne_strauss7 Jan
  • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Kyle Hayes7 Jan
  • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Michael Widenius10 Jan
    • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Eric Peters11 Jan
      • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Benjamin Pflugmann11 Jan
      • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Michael Widenius11 Jan
Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Fred Lindberg7 Jan