List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 7 2000 12:05am
Subject:Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?
View as plain text

Tim> Also, something I'm not sure of... does MySQL mark table (and index)
Tim> files as being 'stable' when they are closed and check that flag when
Tim> they are reopened? (Like most modern filesystems do?)
>>
>> The new MyISAM does the first part;  As soon as we have myisamchk
>> integrated into mysqld we will handle the second part (automatic
>> checking + repair of tables at reboot)

Tim> But meanwhile shouldn't MySQL fail to open (or at least change) a table
Tim> that's potentially corrupt?

As an integrated myisamchk is only a couple of releases away we
haven't done that.  You can instead quickly detect and repair not
properly closed MyISAM files with:

myisamchk --force --fast --quick *.MYI

The above will ignore all tables that tables that hasn't been modified
since last check and it will at once notice tables that arn't closed properly.

Tim> If so, if that flag set by just flushing a table?

>> Yes, the flag is set by doing a flush on the table (as the flush
>> forces a close of all tables + a reopen on the locked tables).

Tim> So a LOCK + FLUSH + filecopy is a reliable way to make a 'stable'
Tim> copy of a table.

Yes.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
shutdown mysql when backing up?hypnos6 Jan
  • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce6 Jan
    • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Paul DuBois6 Jan
      • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce6 Jan
        • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce6 Jan
          • RE: shutdown mysql when backing up?Daniel Lafraia7 Jan
            • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce7 Jan
        • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Michael Widenius7 Jan
          • is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Cheng-Wei Cheng7 Jan
            • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Patrick Greenwell7 Jan
            • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Mark Zieg7 Jan
          • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Tim Bunce7 Jan
            • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Michael Widenius7 Jan
  • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Scott Hess6 Jan
    • Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?hypnos7 Jan
Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?wayne_strauss7 Jan
  • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Kyle Hayes7 Jan
  • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Michael Widenius10 Jan
    • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Eric Peters11 Jan
      • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Benjamin Pflugmann11 Jan
      • Re: is update more expensive than insert in Mysql?Michael Widenius11 Jan
Re: shutdown mysql when backing up?Fred Lindberg7 Jan