List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 24 1999 5:35pm
Subject:Re: File sizes on remote server
View as plain text
Mimi Church wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions, Sasha.  Unfortunately they won't solve the
> problem.
>
> 1. I can't telnet into the remote mySQL server.  I assume this is one way
> the host provides protection for a shared db server.
>
> 2. I can estimate the sizes of the tables using the method you describe
> (and even estimate the size required by indices, thanks to good mySQL docs
> / utils).  I've done this and estimate a total size of around 12 MB for all
> tables.  The ISP reports that my tables in the db occupy 618 MB.  I suspect
> that one (at least) of the tables has been corrupted, and even though I
> drop, recreate the table, and reimport data, somehow things aren't really
> getting cleaned up.  But I need to be able to look at the actual file sizes
> to pursue this theory.
>
> Any further suggestions on how to address this problem would be most
> appreciated.  I'm stuck.

Can you have your ISP run du or ls -l on your tables and send you the
output?

If you have ftp access and you can read the mysql data directory you can
see the file sizes. If you have ftp access, but cannot read mysql data
directory, here is another trick, I have not tried it, so it may not
work, just an idea. write a shell script that runs ls -l on the data
directory and e-mails the output to you, ftp it in, then select * into
outfile '|/bin/sh myscript.sh' from some_table. That will work only if
you have file priviliges.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com