List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 24 1999 2:46pm
Subject:Re: File sizes on remote server
View as plain text
>Thanks for your suggestions, Sasha.  Unfortunately they won't solve the
>problem.
>
>1. I can't telnet into the remote mySQL server.  I assume this is one way
>the host provides protection for a shared db server.
>
>2. I can estimate the sizes of the tables using the method you describe
>(and even estimate the size required by indices, thanks to good mySQL docs
>/ utils).  I've done this and estimate a total size of around 12 MB for all
>tables.  The ISP reports that my tables in the db occupy 618 MB.  I suspect
>that one (at least) of the tables has been corrupted, and even though I
>drop, recreate the table, and reimport data, somehow things aren't really
>getting cleaned up.  But I need to be able to look at the actual file sizes
>to pursue this theory.
>
>Any further suggestions on how to address this problem would be most
>appreciated.  I'm stuck.

If the ISP is just providing you with a single number, they're not
telling you much.  Ask them to do something like the following and
mail you a transcript of the results:

% cd /dir/containing/your/database          (cd to your database dir)
% pwd                                       (to verify the location)
% ls -l                                     (list sizes of each file)
% du                                        (list total db size)

If they won't do this, they're not helping you solve the problem.
And that's their goal, right?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
File sizes on remote serverMimi Church24 Apr